Ant Extermination Control & Removal
Portland OR – Vancouver WA – Longview Kelso WA
Ant control and removal in Portland and Vancouver can be a challenge for homeowners and businesses. Ants are one of the most common, numerous, and widespread insects in the world. Experts estimate that they are more 30,000 different species. Pioneer Pest Management specializes in ant extermination.
Although the most destructive of ants are the Carpenter Ants (and the similar non-ant – the Termite), any ant population can be a problem or annoyance in your home or lawn.
Common Ants in Portland and Vancouver
The most common small ants that are found in the Washington and Oregon areas are the Pavement Ants, Odorous House Ants, and Moisture Ants.
Color: Dark brown to blackish
Size: 1/8-inch long
Feed on: eat almost anything, including insects, seeds, honeydew, honey, bread, meats, nuts and cheese.
Nests: live in or under pavement cracks
Identifying Characteristic: piles of sand on sidewalks, driveways, or even basement floors from nests beneath.
Odorous House Ants
Color: Brown or black
Size: 1/16-1/8-inch long
Feed on: Drawn primarily to sweets, especially melon
Nests: make their homes in exposed soil and wall cracks.
Identifying Characteristic: a strong, rotten coconut-like smell when crushed.
Color: yellow to dark brown
Size: about 1/8 inch long
Feed on: sweets, often entering homes to feed on sugary foods
Nests: make nests in water damaged, decaying wood, where they can accelerate decay and weaken structures
Identifying Characteristic: notched back on the ant and nesting signs of cardboard-like tunneling in moist wood and sawdust under entry/exit points
Velvety Tree Ants
Color: velvety black abdomen with dark head and reddish thorax
Size: 1/8 to 1/4 inch
Feed on: sweets, honeydew, and insects
Nests: nest in dead wood, such as old trees and logs; may also infest structural wood and insulation
Identifying Characteristic: this ant gets its name from its glistening abdomen made up of dense, fine hairs; it has a very distinct odor when crushed
Ant Control Problems
Ants will invade structures in search of food or shelter. Whether invading in high numbers or constantly trailing in one by one, ants can be a great nuisance and annoyance when they infest homes and businesses.
But ants can also cause problems in and around the structures:
- When they find food, ants lay a trail from the nest for their fellow workers to follow – so ant infestations can quickly grow to high numbers.
- They will forage for food and can contaminate foods on which they feed.
- Some ants bite or sting, and may cause allergic reaction in sensitive people.
- Pavement ants can cause unsightly piles of sand in sidewalks, driveways, or even basements, under which they build their nests.
- Some ants can carry disease or be host to disease-causing organisms.
- Ants can be difficult to control, because, in most cases, the “queen” or queens of the colony must be eliminated to stop population growth.
Pioneer Ant Removal and Extermination
As a part of the ant-prone Northwest U.S.,Washington and Oregon residents often have continuing ant issues. For this reason, an ongoing pest management maintenance program provides a cost-effective way for homeowners and businesses to manage ant issues.
Ant management is a part of Pioneer Pest Management’s Home Defense and Commercial Protection ongoing maintenance programs.
To protect your family, home, or business, we:
- Inspect the property to identify the invading ant, attractant, and means of entry.
- We will implement Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies to reduce or eliminate populations and control infestations.
- When needed, the IPM service will include use of professional baits or insecticides for maximum control.
- We will also recommend areas of exclusion, sanitation, or other actions you can take to help reduce ant attraction, means of entry, and future invasion.
- As a part of the Pioneer Home Defense and Commercial Protection programs, we will maintain a constant vigilance against new populations and respond to any such service request you may have.
Call Us Today for Ant Control!